The Raspberry is an incredible maker board. A powerful, functional, yet tiny single-board computer (SBC), the Raspberry Pi handles tons of tasks. Often, it's used as a retro gaming console running RetroPie, Lakka, or Recalbox. But it's capable of far more than gaming. Check out the best Raspberry Pi projects besides a retro gaming console.
DIY Spotify for streaming movies, TV shows, and music.
Hassio transforms into a smart home assistant. Then, you can sync with various devices such as Z-Wave and Zigbee controllers.
Alternatively, try creating a smart voice assistant with Mycroft on the Raspberry Pi. Then there's a full-on smart home complete with blockchain implementation, chore tracking, and more. There's ample room for smart home automation using a Raspberry Pi, with the ability to connect smoke detectors, sprinklers, cooling fans, and more. Plus, you can make door locks, connect with specific devices like a Dyson Pure Link
5. Robotics ProjectsLikewise, its small form factor lends the Raspberry Pi tons of advantages in robotics projects. A Balancerbot using a Raspberry Pi 3 and a program running on Linux written in C++ works like a champ. Other neat builds include a "The Terminator" inspired The Raspbinator project or LEGO Raspberry Pirate skull. Grab some random items from around your house and create a junkbot.
6. WearablesWhether it's a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Raspberry Pi Zero, or Raspberry Pi A+, Pi SBCs serve as excellent foundations for wearables. The Windows Wrist Watch is a super cool application. Or, the Piglass offers a Google Glass type experience with a Raspberry Pi.
7. Smart AgricultureSmart agriculture remains a budding space. With the rise of tech across all industries, smart farming continues to evolve. On a small scale, the Raspberry Pi provides an inexpensive means of making a hydromazing smart garden system, crop growth monitor, and more.
8. Music ProjectsAside from a music server and HTPC, the Pi plays music files well and as such may be utilized as a music player. The Pipod, lovingly named after the iPod, is as the name suggests is a portable music player. You might consider building a Raspberry Pi boombox, or even an Android Auto head unit with a Raspberry Pi.
10. Basic DesktopA simple, effective Raspberry Pi project is a desktop. Install a Linux OS such as Ubuntu, Raspbian, Linux Mint, Ubuntu MATE, or an Android OS. There are even Chrome OS releases for the Raspberry Pi. Though a Raspberry Pi won't win any benchmarking tests, it's still a solid board for web browsing, recording audio, and more.
Best Raspberry Pi Projects Besides a Retro Game Console: Final ThoughtsThe Raspberry Pi truly is a utilitarian single-board computer. There's no shortage of Raspberry Pi projects available, and you're only really limited by your creativity. Though at times it appears the majority of Raspberry Pi users are simply running RetroPie, there's a lot more to the powerful, versatile development board than just retro gaming. One of my favorite projects is a basic Linux desktop. Raspbian, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint run with ease.
What are your favorite Rasberry Pi projects besides a retro game console?