Control Your Non-smart Ac With Alexa/ Google Home/ Siri
About the project
Modify the remote on your existing AC (or other appliance) to turn it into a smart AC using Arduino, Adafruit, and IFTTT.
Items used in this project
I've always wanted to have a Smart AC so I can turn it on when I'm on my way home and arrive to a cool place. I couldn't just use a smart thermostat because I don't have central Air. I instead modded my AC's remote to be triggered by an Arduino.
The general steps are as follows:Remote Mod / Arduino Setup
- I modded my AC remote to always have the power button pressed
- I removed the remote's battery and connected it to Arduino
- I included 2 LEDs. A red one to tell me when the project was online and a green one to tell me when the button had been triggered
Adafruit & Arduino IDE Code
- I created a button on here and assigned it to a feed. When that button is pressed, it passes a value of 1 to the feed
- I connected the feed to my Arduino code using Adafruit's API
- The API function listens for new data from the feed. I wrote a function in there that said IF the feed sends a value of 1 ----> Arduino should send power to the remote, therefore firing off the power button. It should also turn on the green LED so I see it was activated.
- I made an applet on IFTTT and connected it to Adafruit and Google Home
- IF Google home is told "Turn on the AC", THEN IFTTT will send a value of 1 to the Adafruit feed therefore triggering the Arduino
- This can be repeated for Alexa, Siri, Home Assistant, etc...
The steps are outlined in this Video: