Picture With Moving Eyes

About the project

Horror fans? Learn how to make a poster/picture that will look back at you.

Project info

Difficulty: Easy

Platforms: Arduino

Estimated time: 4 hours

License: GNU General Public License, version 3 or later (GPL3+)

Items used in this project

Hardware components

Picture frame Picture frame Size depends totally on your poster size, you can change it however you like or use a different material (a canvas for example maybe will work well). x 1
Arduino Uno - R3 Arduino Uno - R3 x 1
Ultrasonic Distance Sensor - HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Distance Sensor - HC-SR04 x 1
9V Battery 9V Battery x 1
Poster/Picture of your choosing Poster/Picture of your choosing x 1
Micro Servo Micro Servo x 1
Paper clips Paper clips x 1
9V Battery Holder 9V Battery Holder Not necessary but will make your life easier- you can improvise if needed. x 1

View all

Software apps and online services

Photoshop/Photo editing app or painting skills. Photoshop/Photo editing app or painting skills. This is needed for the eyeballs.

Hand tools and fabrication machines

Glue gun Glue gun If you make it as a permanent build and don't want to take it apart you can use gorilla glue. x 1
Razor blade Razor blade x 1


In short, I took a Mark Rober class on Monthly- this is the second build of the month and my first Electrical Build.


I tried putting something simple together in two days, the idea came up and as a horror fan I said why not? 
Recently I watched the Evil dead series on Netflix and the movies that came beforehand, so as a homage came up with this. 

  1. I took the poster from Evil Dead 2, glued it on a cardboard and framed it.

  2. Cut out the eyes part from the cardboard so that they could move back and forth.

  3. Used an ultrasonic sensor to tell if someone is near which made the servo motor move the eyes making them look at you and move back to place.

  4. Powered everything with 9V battery. 

As it’s my first time with code and Arduino, I didn’t write anything, but I combined two separate codes that I found to make the motor and sensor work, and made the eyes the way I wanted- which for the first time is a success for me in terms of coding. This Project was 2 years ago and I've attached all the the files I still had.

Came out really cool at the end. Here’s a video from behind the picture- https://youtu.be/SAbEmRehnos

Schematics, diagrams and documents

Eyes for the project

The eyes I made and printed for the project.



The Code I've Used


Leave your feedback...