Diy Helping Hands Soldering Station
About the project
In this tutorial I am going to show how we can make a super flexible helping hands soldering station using basic materials which are low coast and can be found easily in nearby stores. This 4$ helping hands soldering station looks decent and can perform all the tasks that a commercial helping hands soldering station can do.
Estimated time: 4 hours
- 10 Gauge plastic coated single string metal wire
- Block of wood (15x30 Cm)
- Alligator Pins
- Some different sizes of steel rods
- Solder Holder (Or) Thick metal wire
- Solder tip cleaner (Or) A small container with steel scrubber
- A (7X10m) metal sheet
- Wood Finish Oil
- 5V White LED Light
- Hand drill and other tools
Step 1: Making Flexible Arms:
- Take the hand drill with a long 5mm diameter rod.
- Mark a point on rod for length of the arm.
- Take the metal wire and roll on the rod to make the spring.
- Similarly make few more springs.
- Take the same metal wire and double it using drill.
- This double wire is going to act as core for helping hands.
Step 2: Drilling Holes on the Wood:
- Take the wooden block and mark the positions where you want to place your helping hands, solder holder, lead wire holder and solder tip cleaner.
- Drill the appropriate holes at the marks you made.
- For placing the helping hand drill a hole of spring diameter.
- Inside the same hole drill a hole of core diameter.
Step 3: Installing Helping Hands:
- Put the cores and springs in the respective holes using glue.
- Take the heat shrink tubes and the alligator pins.
- Fix the alligator pin using super glue.
- After the glue dries position the heat shrink tube and shrink it.
- Put the heat shrink tubes on the teeth's of the alligator pins.
- Glue a 5V LED light on a flexible hand.
Note: You can even put a magnifier and a small DC fan on the flexible hand.
Step 4: Final:
- Fix the container with screws on to the wood.
- Place the scrubber and put the lid.
- To this lid make a opening.
- Fix the solder iron holder and a small rod for lead wire holder.
- Apply the wood finishing oil.
You can use a commercial solder holder and commercial solder tip cleaner instead.