3D Printed Glasses

Show off your latest prints here!

3D Printed Glasses

Post »

In desparation I had to save mum! - She has very strong glasses and broke them again...  So my sister posted her glasses to me and I had to make a few pairs with spares quickly!  Nothing electronic, just functional glasses to get mum out of a bind...  She's gonna look a little silly for a few days while she waits for "proper glasses", but at least she can see :-)

Designing and making 3D Printed Glasses

Re: 3D Printed Glasses

Post »

I say this every time you post a new article or video, but once again, Howard, you've outdone yourself! Super cool video, and near to see the entire process. You mentioned the sizing initially being a bit off. What, if any, were the biggest challenges you encountered during the process of 3D printing these glasses and how did you manage to overcome them? 

Post »

Hi Moe, thanks for your kind words!!...  The challenge of copying the shape of the lense and then scaling required 3 or 4 print itterations which made the process painfully slow.  Now, if only someone could wire-up some kind of optical 3d scanning device to create a solid model of the lens, this whole process could be slicker and possibly productionised for those in desperate need or who have old lenses that work in broken frames.  I wonder if there is a clever person out there who has seen/experience of making a scanner :-)

Post »

Dubious wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:08 am
Hi Moe, thanks for your kind words!!...  The challenge of copying the shape of the lense and then scaling required 3 or 4 print itterations which made the process painfully slow.  Now, if only someone could wire-up some kind of optical 3d scanning device to create a solid model of the lens, this whole process could be slicker and possibly productionised for those in desperate need or who have old lenses that work in broken frames.  I wonder if there is a clever person out there who has seen/experience of making a scanner :-)

That definitely sounds challenging! And what you mention about a 3D scanning device for creating a solid model definitely sounds like a potential game-changer. That might be a neat means of allowing for print-on-demand production. I'm keen to see if/when that begins to take off!