hartvik-line wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:55 am
Renee_Taylor wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 pm
hartvik-line wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm
Many good looking contributions here! Here is my take on the competition:
Youtube demonstration

Great project to keep me inside these corona times:)

I saw this one and I was like WOW!! Its so beautiful and creative! I was wondering though, since its so unique, does it still follow the design specifications? I really really love this design though!!!

Thanks, Renee:)

Yes, you are right - I did want to go through with this design even if it might be a bit alternative.
Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. Happy to see as many good contributions here!

This is a very cool design, but as per the design brief, only the shade and stem were to be "remixed", the base and LED holder not.
But none-the-less, AWESOME lamp

Re: MyMiniFactory Mood Lamp competition

Post »

Renee_Taylor wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:47 am
neil-van-der-merwe wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:39 am
Renee_Taylor wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:08 pm

It was! I made the customisable phone case one... i have litterally had them with me 24/7 since! (With further evolution of the basic design ofc :)

I was lucky to come 2nd with my Neopixel panels :D :D

They were awesome! I genuinely really want to fill my wall with them 😅
I was happy to see the neopixel design place!! 

Now that is an idea that never crossed my mind .. lol use them on the wall.. .. I just ended up making a cube, but now you have given me another idea. .
I love neopixels, so always happy to have MORE colors .. anywhere in the house :lol:

Post »

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:35 am
princton-brennan wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:34 pm
Firstly, I wanted to thank you guys for this competition because it's mixing two of my favorite hobbies! By trade & education I'm an electronics engineer, but I fell in love w/ 3D printing about 2 years ago. I've only been modeling for just under a year, but I saw this competition as a means to challenge myself to to get better. 

I actually ended up doing two designs:

Genie Mood Lamp:
[inspiratioin - I thought it would be a fun play on words to make a lamp with a genie. The base is supposed to represent the smoke seen as the genie comes out of the lamp and all of the colors explode as it grows.]
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-117022

Cuttlefish Mood Lamp:
[inspiration - I wanted to play with the idea of animals that can change color as the lamp shade! The angry cuttlefish is inking as it changes colors because cuttlefish usually change color as a defense mechanism.]
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-118191

Really creative designs dude!
what size printer are you using here?

Thanks! 😁. I printed these on my anycubic i3 mega the max volume is 210 x 210 x 205, things got tight on the Z axis but I got it all in lol. 

Post »

Renee_Taylor wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:42 pm
princton-brennan wrote:
Firstly, I wanted to thank you guys for this competition because it's mixing two of my favorite hobbies! By trade & education I'm an electronics engineer, but I fell in love w/ 3D printing about 2 years ago. I've only been modeling for just under a year, but I saw this competition as a means to challenge myself to to get better. 

Genie Mood Lamp:
[inspiratioin - I thought it would be a fun play on words to make a lamp with a genie. The base is supposed to represent the smoke seen as the genie comes out of the lamp and all of the colors explode as it grows.]

Cuttlefish Mood Lamp:
[inspiration - I wanted to play with the idea of animals that can change color as the lamp shade! The angry cuttlefish is inking as it changes colors because cuttlefish usually change color as a defense mechanism.]

I love the thought processes behind both designs! Very clever and creative !!

Hey, thanks a lot! I'm a fan of creatures/characters so this was a lot of fun! I actually still have the Cuttlefish on now; it's almost been a week lol but my wife hasn't complained yet 😅!

Post »

princton-brennan wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:37 am
princton-brennan wrote:

Genie Mood Lamp:

Cuttlefish Mood Lamp:

Thanks! 😁. I printed these on my anycubic i3 mega the max volume is 210 x 210 x 205, things got tight on the Z axis but I got it all in lol. 

Print came out nice. Just a question as it looks like with your shade you basically filled that build volume, what about the design brief that the shade cannot be higher than 130mm?

Post »

Does anyone know any timeline of the result being declared? Or how long does it usually take? This my first time participating in something.

Post »

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 am
princton-brennan wrote:

Print came out nice. Just a question as it looks like with your shade you basically filled that build volume, what about the design brief that the shade cannot be higher than 130mm?

Honestly I was a little confused by the dimensions because the instructions stated the following:

Stem
  • Height: 166mm
  • Bottom diameter: 102mm
  • Top diameter: 47mm
Shade
  • Inside radius (to fit LED holder): 42mm
  • Max height: 130mm
But when I imported the reference files the measurements didn't all match 1-to-1. For example the instructions stated the top diameter of the base was 47mm with a base diameter of 102mm. However, it started that the shade top radius was 42mm (which would be an 84mm diameter. Also when imported the LED holder it was much larger than expected on the Z axis. 

The only piece that seemed to match the dimensions directly was the stem. So I imported all the reference pieces as a point of reference and printed them for testing in hopes that my designs would fit physically. It would be unfortunate to be disqualified because of this, but I tried my best.

Post »

upamanyu-chatterjee wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:22 am
Does anyone know any timeline of the result being declared? Or how long does it usually take? This my first time participating in something.

It can take awhile... its not an "overnight" type situation but I guess it varies from competition to competition 🤷‍♂️ 
Expect maybe a few weeks at least? 

Post »

well heres my submision:
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d ... ist-116057

i was feeling kind of confident when i made and posted it. then when i saw the other designs that you guys have posted im feeling kinda lacklustre ;)
 you guys have come up with some great designs and i feel i would have had a chance with a better shade but what can you do.

Post »

princton-brennan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:04 am
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 am
princton-brennan wrote:

Honestly I was a little confused by the dimensions because the instructions stated the following:

Stem
  • Height: 166mm
  • Bottom diameter: 102mm
  • Top diameter: 47mm
Shade
  • Inside radius (to fit LED holder): 42mm
  • Max height: 130mm
But when I imported the reference files the measurements didn't all match 1-to-1. For example the instructions stated the top diameter of the base was 47mm with a base diameter of 102mm. However, it started that the shade top radius was 42mm (which would be an 84mm diameter. Also when imported the LED holder it was much larger than expected on the Z axis. 

The only piece that seemed to match the dimensions directly was the stem. So I imported all the reference pieces as a point of reference and printed them for testing in hopes that my designs would fit physically. It would be unfortunate to be disqualified because of this, but I tried my best.

I hear what you are saying, I did the same. There was only one error in the given parameters, that was when they said radius instead of diameter, but that error should have easily been picked up by the designer as when you measured the file, the diameter was 42mm.
The height of the LED is 102mm, which fits in perfectly with the max height if 130mm.

How and where did you import the files to?

Attachments
LED holder.jpg
LED holder.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 9427 times
LED holder dia.jpg
LED holder dia.jpg (125.19 KiB) Viewed 9427 times