Re: MyMiniFactory Mood Lamp competition

Post »

neil-van-der-merwe wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:36 pm
princton-brennan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:04 am
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 am

Print came out nice. Just a question as it looks like with your shade you basically filled that build volume, what about the design brief that the shade cannot be higher than 130mm?

Honestly I was a little confused by the dimensions because the instructions stated the following:

Stem
  • Height: 166mm
  • Bottom diameter: 102mm
  • Top diameter: 47mm
Shade
  • Inside radius (to fit LED holder): 42mm
  • Max height: 130mm
But when I imported the reference files the measurements didn't all match 1-to-1. For example the instructions stated the top diameter of the base was 47mm with a base diameter of 102mm. However, it started that the shade top radius was 42mm (which would be an 84mm diameter. Also when imported the LED holder it was much larger than expected on the Z axis. 

The only piece that seemed to match the dimensions directly was the stem. So I imported all the reference pieces as a point of reference and printed them for testing in hopes that my designs would fit physically. It would be unfortunate to be disqualified because of this, but I tried my best.

I hear what you are saying, I did the same. There was only one error in the given parameters, that was when they said radius instead of diameter, but that error should have easily been picked up by the designer as when you measured the file, the diameter was 42mm.
The height of the LED is 102mm, which fits in perfectly with the max height if 130mm.

How and where did you import the files to?

I downloaded the files from the site, set up a blender file in mm (I model in blender 3D), and just matched the sizes seen after makign a few measurements. I did upload scaled down sizes as well just in case. For the genie I had to increase the neck size so the LED's could fit. The cuttle fish legs were lifted and the total design was scaled down on the Z-axis to match the requirements. The files, luckily, were still solid stl's.

Re: MyMiniFactory Mood Lamp competition

Post »

princton-brennan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:38 pm
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:36 pm
princton-brennan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:04 am

Honestly I was a little confused by the dimensions because the instructions stated the following:

Stem
  • Height: 166mm
  • Bottom diameter: 102mm
  • Top diameter: 47mm
Shade
  • Inside radius (to fit LED holder): 42mm
  • Max height: 130mm
But when I imported the reference files the measurements didn't all match 1-to-1. For example the instructions stated the top diameter of the base was 47mm with a base diameter of 102mm. However, it started that the shade top radius was 42mm (which would be an 84mm diameter. Also when imported the LED holder it was much larger than expected on the Z axis. 

The only piece that seemed to match the dimensions directly was the stem. So I imported all the reference pieces as a point of reference and printed them for testing in hopes that my designs would fit physically. It would be unfortunate to be disqualified because of this, but I tried my best.

I hear what you are saying, I did the same. There was only one error in the given parameters, that was when they said radius instead of diameter, but that error should have easily been picked up by the designer as when you measured the file, the diameter was 42mm.
The height of the LED is 102mm, which fits in perfectly with the max height if 130mm.

How and where did you import the files to?

I downloaded the files from the site, set up a blender file in mm (I model in blender 3D), and just matched the sizes seen after makign a few measurements. I did upload scaled down sizes as well just in case. For the genie I had to increase the neck size so the LED's could fit. The cuttle fish legs were lifted and the total design was scaled down on the Z-axis to match the requirements. The files, luckily, were still solid stl's.

If these changes were made after the competition closed, they would not be taken into consideration.