Using a Doppler radar sensor with the Raspberry Pi

Seen something interesting on the blog? Post the link here to continue the discussion.

Using a Doppler radar sensor with the Raspberry Pi

Post »

Re: Using a Doppler radar sensor with the Raspberry Pi

Post »

Hi Les, this is great thanks so much for posting this. I'm new to programming and the RPi world and your project is the only one that I could find that is using the RCWL-0516 on a RPi.

I have adapted your code and used it to enable the backlight on my RPi touchscreen when motion is detected etc and it works great. Basically when motion is detected the backlight is enabled for 30 seconds and then it turns off until motion is detected again.

One small issue im having is that once the 30 seconds times out, it takes a few seconds for the sensor to detect motion again. Im assuming this is the bounce_time. I've changed it to 1 second but even then it takes more than a second to recognise motion. And I've found its almost as though if motion is detected within that 1 second it keeps resetting the bounce_time. So for example the screen turns off and I wave my hands in front continuasly it won't turn the backlight back on until all motion has stopped, then it will reset.

Have you found this issue and/or a solution?

Post »

Can It draw a radar map like the usual radar does ?

Post »

Well in fac the answer is No it can't.
just because you will just be able to know if there is mouvements in the range 0->7m, witout the ability to mesure the distance between the radar and the 'detected' mouvement.
To be able to make a map like real radars, a pwm output (instead of a binary one) would have been necessary.

Post »

Hello my teacher. I want to take a 10-second video to do in finding this project move. I tried so hard but couldn't please my teacher.

Post »

I hooked one up just like this and it's triggering false positives for movement every 3 minutes when there is clearly nothing within 20 feet. Hmm???

Post »

This is interesting. Could it be used in pairs? On a flying drone, could one be used for altitude and one for collision avoidance at low altitude?